Montgomery’s Inn was built around 1830 for Thomas and Margaret Montgomery. East and south wings (containing a new bar room and a second kitchen) were added to the building in 1838. The Inn was surrounded by a large profitable farm, which provided food for the Montgomery family as well as the customers at their hotel. The Montgomery family ran the hotel for about 25 years, until the mid 1850s. Montgomery’s Inn is of an architectural style known today as “Loyalist” or “late Georgian”. When it was built, it was called “Classical,” as it was inspired by ancient Greek and Roman architecture. Features such as the
centre-hall plan, the symmetrical balance of the building, and the fanlight over the front door are typical of this style. The Inn is built of rubble stone. Originally, the stone was covered with pebble dashed stucco and finished, or “coined,” on the corners to give the appearance of cut stone. Other features include a gift shop, accessible elevators, a library, a tea room, Briarly Room, a bar room, a dining room, a sitting room with games area, a children's bedroom, a innkeeper's bedroom, a parlour, a ballroom , a Travellers' sitting room, two bedrooms for Travellers and more. There is also a parking lot in the front.