This 1 1/2 storey house was built in 1796 by William Fairfield Jr. In 1938, Mabel Fairfield-Gutzeit and her husband Dr. William Gutzeit purchased the house as their retirement home. They furnished the house with their collection of paintings, furniture, and decorative objects, which are now on view for the public during the summer. The main facade of the house faces the waterway and has a panel door flanked by sidelights. The original Georgian style of the structure has a simple gable roof, with a Victorian feel, and is perfect for capturing the 1800s. Its large back porch has a gorgeous view of the water and the surrounding yard.
The 1812 Discovery Centre sits right next to the 1796 Fairfield-Gutzeit House. The first floor has old wood floors, and the walls are lined with artifacts of historical significance, including vintage clothing and flags, model ships, and artwork dating back to the early life in Ernesttown (present-day Bath). The second floor has the same original wood floors, and is split into offices with a mix of modern and period furniture. There is a large deck that wraps around the side of the house, and a small dock stretching out onto Lake Ontario.